Monday, January 18, 2016

Case Study 1/18/2016: How To Get Started Teaching Online & What To Teach For Your Next Course!

In this weeks case study I will be addressing How To Get Started Teaching Online Video Courses & What To Teach For Your Next Course! 
When I first began teaching online I had zero experience! In fact the only videos I ever "created" were with my sisters on vacation being goofballs and just have fun! I had never "taught" anything in-front of a camera, recorded my voice, or edited screen capture videos before.
Knowing how intimidating online teaching can be for new instructors, I wanted to give you three helpful tips in getting started teaching online today! These tips are also going to be very helpful for intermediate and advanced instructors as well!
#1: Use High Quality Microphones and Video Equipment for All of Your Online Courses!
The quality of your course is actually more important than the course material itself! Numerous online research has show that higher quality videos and audio are more engaging and produce longer video viewing times than those of lessor quality.
If a student cannot understand what you are saying because you have a low quality microphone, or they cannot see your videos clearly because you are using low-resolution cameras and slower computers, they will most likely have a "poor" experience in your course! So, how can we avoid giving our students a poor experience and provide them with an excellent experience? Simple. Use high quality equipment! Now, before you all go shopping online and spending hundreds if not thousands on high quality video and audio equipment, I wanted to share with you what I use and have been using for the past 8 months! All of this equipment cost me a combined total of less than $500! So if you are on a budget, great news! And if you have a little more than $500 to spend, then excellent! You will be able to get even better quality. Here are the three essentials I use for creating my online video courses!
Microphone: RodeSmart LAV!
Video Camera: Cannon VIXIA HR50 Full HD Camcorder

Tripod: SUNPAK 5858D Tripod

If you have any questions about where/how to acquire similar equipment please post a comment below!
#2: Start Teaching A Topic You Have Mastered:
When I first started teaching online I began teaching on a subject I had mastered and had a lot of "PROOF" with. Years ago I set a goal for myself to acquire a big screen TV and surround sound system. That goal became a reality and I began teaching about my success story to my students in the high school classroom!

I even had a student reach his goal of buying a $10,000 dream car of his! What an incredible story!

This led me to teaching on goal setting first here online! Fortunately for me the course was a "mini" success and I had thousands of students enroll in my course overnight!
I suggest you teach something you have master first because teaching online takes time to master! It took me months to understand the editing software, the correct lighting, video camera, audio, ect. If I was trying to teach a subject I didn't know and was researching, it would have made the whole experience a lot more difficult and I most likely would have given up and quit! But since I was teaching a subject I was good at it made the first experience much less painful!
Recap: Teach Something You Are Really Good At and Have Mastered In Your Life!
#3: Choose a Subject Your Love!
I have a lot of students ask me about "what they should teach" or "will my course do well online" and to be 100% honest it is very difficult to say. There are just to many factors that go into creating amazing online video courses. However, if you teach something you really love, it wont feel like work, you will really enjoy the online teaching process, and your students will be able to feel the love and passion coming from your work! This love and passion will really help make the course the best it can be! Some of my bestselling courses are courses I truly loved to teach about! My Confidence and Self-Esteem courses are great examples! 

So to conclude, start with high quality equipment, teach something you have experience with and have mastered first in your own life, and if you don't have that experience, teach something you love!
Thank you for reading our blog post today! If you have any questions please feel free to post your comments below!
Also, you can check out all of my blog posts for FREE by going to:
Happy Selling!
Sincerely,

Joe Parys

No comments:

Post a Comment