Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Case Study 2/8/2015 A Beginners Guide To Teaching Online - What I Wish I Knew When I First Started Teaching Online!

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another online teaching case study! In this weeks case study, we are going to be discussing A Beginners Guide To Teaching Online - What I Wish I Knew When I First Started Teaching Online!
This case study was actually inspired by student feedback for students just getting started teaching online on Udemy!
I will be discussing three main areas and showing you specific examples from my own online courses! The three main areas we will be discussing in this post are:
1) How To Set Up My Udemy Instructor Account Quickly and Easily
2) How To Choosing A Topic To Teach Online and When To Launch Your First Course!
3) What Sells Best On Udemy and Other Online Websites!
Lets Begin With Question 1)
1) How To Set Up My Udemy Instructor Account Quickly and Easily 
The easiest way to being setting up your Udemy account for getting paid students is to go to:
Here they will show you step by step how to update your instructor page and add in your Paypal account!
They also show you step by step how to edit your profile and how to change the price of your Udemy courses! This is an excellent tool and will help you easily get started teaching online!
I remeber it taking me more than 1 week to get my profile figured out and I just wanted to hopefully make this process easier for all new instructors!
2) How To Choosing A Topic To Teach Online and When To Launch Your First Course!
When I first began teaching online I chose a topic I knew a lot about and had the proof to show for it! This really helped me in creating my first course because it made the whole teaching part easy! I would suggest if you are new to teaching online to start with teaching a subject you know and are passionate about! This will give you momentum to learn, create momentum for your next course, and continue to become a better online instructor. Here is a phrase that I wish I heard early on as an instructor:
"If you are not embarrassed by your first course, you did not start soon enough!"
Here is my first goal setting course:
Now in 2016 I am a little embarrassed by! Why? Because the quality of the videos is lower because my awareness of how to create the videos was low! 
Here is an example of my first course lecture! A powerpoint example!
Now, after creating this course I ended up creating a whole new course on goal setting because I became more aware of how to create higher quality videos!
This course has received higher more 5 star reviews and look at the difference in engagement in the video lecture! It is a night and day difference :)
So what is the message? Try your best to learn as much as you can about how to create amazing videos first and then start creating your online courses! It will save you lots of time and the students will enjoy your courses more!
3) What Sells Best On Udemy and Other Online Websites! 
After creating more than 30+ courses here on Udemy what I have found to sell the best is highly technical courses! This is why I have hired and am working with professionals who know how to create and teach these subjects! Here is an example of my newest course on Android Development! It has enrolled over 8,000+ Students in its first week!
It has also received some very nice reviews because we have condensed the amount of information in the course! The saying "less is more" can definitely apply to online teaching! It's important to get to the point and not waste your students time :)
I hope you have enjoyed this weeks case study! There are many ways to begin teaching online, but this should give you some great ideas that have worked for myself and many other online instructors! Stay tuned next week were I discuss more intermediate teaching strategies and how to begin making your first online sales!
Thank you for reading our blog post today! If you have any questions please feel free to post your comments below!
Also, you can check out all of my blog posts for FREE by going to:
Sincerely,
Joe Parys

No comments:

Post a Comment