Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Case Study 2/16/2016 Intermediate Teaching Online Techniques!


Hello everyone and welcome to yet another online teaching case study! In this weeks case study, we are going to be discussing Intermediate Teaching Online Techniques!
This case study was inspired by student feedback for students just getting started teaching online on Udemy!
I will be discussing three main areas and showing you specific examples from my own online courses! The three main areas we will be discussing in this post are:
1) Building Student - Instructor Relationships
2) Promotional Video Strategies
3) Simple Ways To Market Outside of Udemy
Let's Get Started!
1) Building Student - Instructor Relationships
It is absolutely essential to your online teaching success that you are able to build a healthy foundation with your students! TRUST is the key to any relationship, and your students need to be able to trust you. Here are a few strategies I use when building relationships with my students:
a) Be available and open to communicating regularly with your students
I have had multiple students have exceptional experiences in my online courses because I make the effort to answer their questions and messages in a very timely manner! In fact, I even had one student message me first because the online support was taking days to get back to him! I was able to message him the answer to his question within one hour! Being available really helps build trust with your students!
b) Do your absolute best to answer each question honestly and sincerely
When building trust with your students they can tell when you are not being authentic and genuine. This is important because when you go to answer your students questions you do not want to come off sounding fake or phony. That is what I do my best to answer each question honestly and sincerely, even if I do not know the exact answer! Admitting we do not know everything also builds trust!
c) Enjoy the interactions!
I know some instructors hate answering question and if you serve a lot of students it can become a "burden" if you let it. However, I actually enjoy taking the time to get to know my students! This also allows me to better serve them and create better content in the future :)
2) Promotional Video Strategies
After creating more than 30+ Udemy courses I have begun to see how important your promotional video is! Did you know students are 5X more likely to enroll in your course if you have a good promo video!
Here are the statistics from Udemy:
So if the promotional video is so important, how do we make a really great one? Well, Udemy has a great guide to help us with this! All you have to do is click on the "promo video guide" after clicking on the "promo video" tab!
Here are a few of their recommendations:
"1) Welcome & Instructor Intro
Give a 1-sentence intro to the course then tell the student why you're a credible instructor.
2) Benefits
Describe the benefits of the course and what students will be able to do after completing it.
3) Ideal Student Description
Describe your target student.
4) Thank You & Call to Action
Call the student to enroll in the course or try the free preview if they want to explore further."
3) Simple Ways To Market Outside of Udemy
Student Question:
"Joe,
I just launched my second class on udemy and am looking to drive some traffic to it. My first class is a free class and I have about 2800 students with good reviews. Since my first class was free I can't do a promotional message to get the word out. What are some good ideas to drive people to my new class?"
_______________
This is an excellent question! Here are few suggestions that have helped me in driving in more traffic to my Udemy course! I now have 35 of them and am serving more than 80,000+ students!
1) Try uploading your videos to YOUTUBE for coupon links back to your Udemy courses!
Youtube is currently the #3 website in the world and has millions of users watching videos everyday! This is a great place to begin attracting students into your online course!
2) Try the Udemy studio!
The Udemy Studio Facebook group has more than 36,000+ members currently and they allow you to put free coupons of your course in the studio note section! This allows many students to try your course for free, share it with friends, and get thousands of students enrolled in your course! Just type in "Udemy Studio" into the search option on Facebook, click "join group" and wait for Udemy to add you :)
3) Free Facebook Udemy groups!
There are many free coupon and discount coupon facebook groups that allow you to post your Udemy free coupons (to your piad courses) on their pages! All you have to do is obey the rules, participate, be friendly, and post your coupons once your course is created! I would try the following groups!
Udemy coupon guru
Udemy 80% or less coupons
Udemy Free Coupons, Promotions, Page
Udemy $1-$9 Coupons
Udemy $20 and Under Coupons
And there are many more!
4) You can also try other coupon websites!
www.retailmenot.com has an awesome Udemy coupon section! Just type in "Udemy" to the retail me not search option and add in your coupons. There are also sites like www.coupontrump.com, www.onlinecoursecoupons.com and many more to help you get started!
Thank you for reading our blog post today! If you have any questions please feel free to post your comments below!
Also, you can check out all of my blog posts for FREE by going to:
Sincerely,
Joe Parys

No comments:

Post a Comment