Monday, February 1, 2016

Case Study: 2/1/2016 How To Increase Student Engagement In Your Online Courses: Part II!

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another online teaching case study! In this weeks case study, we are going to be discussing Part II as a follow up of last weeks student engagement and how it affects your online courses.
This case study was actually inspired by student feedback on how to engage more students and to have them participate more in our online courses.
I will be discussing two main areas to help you engage more of your students and show you specific examples from my own online courses! The three main areas we will be discussing in this post are:
1) Answer Every Single Discussion Question Your Students Post In Your Courses In A Timely Manner!
2) Ask Follow Up Questions and Is Students Can Provide Additions Feedback By Posting A Review!
Lets Begin with Question #1
1) Answer Every Single Discussion Question Your Students Post In Your Courses In A Timely Manner! 
As a teacher it is very important to listen to your students especially when they have questions. I know that when my students in the classroom raise their hands they are (for the most time) looking for a deeper understanding and wanting to know more about what I am teaching them. That is why it is very important to listen and try my best to answer the students question. And if I do not know the answer, I openly admit I do not know it, and then do my best to research the students question and answer it at a later time (never more than a day or two!)
The same can be applied online! Here are some examples of me answering all of the questions in my Current Udemy courses! As you can see I have replied to each and every student!
Here is my reply :)
It is also very important to respond as soon as you can, this way the student feel appreciated, that you are engaged, and that you are willing to help the student as well! Nothing engages a student more than showing them you are interested in them getting amazing results in their life! Try your best to answer each student question within a day or so. I answer most of my students questions within the same day or one day later! Choose a time you can commit to sit down and sincerely answer your students questions. It will go a long way! 
Lets Now Transition into Question #2
2) Ask Follow Up Questions and Is Students Can Provide Additions Feedback By Posting A Review! 
One of the best ways to engage your students and to have them help you engage even more students is to simply ask them for additional feedback and if they would be willing to provide you a testimonial or review of your teachings and the course.
By asking your student for feedback they are not only going to be helping you, but also participating more in your course. The student will have to invest not only a little more of their time, but their feelings as well. Some students may not be willing to help write you a review or testimonial, but this strategy of asking for help once I have show/given students help, has allowed me to receive over 1000+ reviews!
The reviews have also helped thousands of other students make decisions to enroll in my Udemy courses! Talk about creating a win win situation!
*Pro-Tip*
If you never ask, you will never receive. Wayne Gretzky once said "you miss 100% of the shots you never take" so don't feel bad about asking your students to provide feedback. Remeber, its a win win situation.
I hope you have enjoyed this weeks case study! There are many more ways to engage your students, but this should give you some great ideas that have worked for myself and many other online instructors!
Thank you for reading our blog post today! If you have any questions please feel free to post your comments below!
Also, you can check out all of my blog posts for FREE by going to:
Sincerely,
Joe Parys

No comments:

Post a Comment