Monday, February 22, 2016

Case Study 2/22/2016 - The New Udemy Review System is Here!

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another online teaching case study! In this weeks case study, we are going to be discussing The New Udemy Review System!
I will be discussing three main areas and showing you specific examples from my own online courses! The three main areas we will be discussing in this post are:
1) What Are The New Changes To The Review System
2) How Can We Work With The New Review System To Create A Win/Win Situation 
3) How To Continue To Create High Quality Courses To Combat Negative Reviews
Let’s get started!
1) What Are The New Changes To The Review System
The first major change that both Jerry and I have noticed is that you can now reply DIRECTLY to someones review! This is a great new feature! In Jerrys last email he shows you exactly how to do this. Incase you missed it, here are the screenshots below!
How do you get to reviews? Go to instructor dashboard on the top bar next to my courses.
Next select the reviews tab
You can then filter based upon star levels
Every review has a "respond" button on it! This makes it very easy to respond directly to that persons review! 
Here is an example of a review that I have responded to in my newest android course!
The second thing that I noticed is that students can now rate courses with .5 or half star ratings! I got one of my first half star ratings just a few hours ago!
4.5 Stars!
The third major change to the review system is that Udemy now has 3 different checkpoints in which it will specifically be asking your for a review! (a beginning, middle, and ending checkpoint).
Here is what that looks like at the very first checkpoint which takes place very early on in the course!
These changes have instantly boosted and created more reviews almost overnight! This is a very exciting time to see how this new review system will work in the future months to come!
2) How Can We Work With The New Review System To Create A Win/Win Situation 
The best way to maximize your experience as a Udemy instructor is to work WITH the new review system, instead of resisting AGAINST it. This creates a WIN/WIN situation for Udemy and yourself as the instructor!
Here are a few tips:
1) Be adaptable and willing to work with the new system. Don't fight against it!
2) Use the new review system to your advantage! Spend the time getting to know/learn the new system
3) Focus on the areas you like about the new system, instead of the areas that bother you!
Here are some additional suggestions from Jerry Banfield on how to respond to reviews to create better situations for everyone!
“Here are a few tips for responding to reviews generally based on what I am doing today.
  • Responding to the top negative review on each course is my first priority. With 47 courses and 132 one and two star reviews, not all reviews are created equal. The reviews buyers are most likely to see are the most important for me to respond to because that is where I can hope to most effectively reach a potential student. This means now I will try to respond to every new one and two star review as soon as I see it.
  • Responding to older reviews that are not on the first page of reviews can be done steadily over time until every one of them has a response. Some buyers will read as many reviews as possible and the older reviews often provide a great chance to convert especially when the response is newer.
  • Responding to a review shows students you are actively watching the course and keeping it updated. This as a buyer is very important for me to see the instructor is participating in the course because I want to know I can get answers to my questions in the course." -Jerry Banfield
3) How To Continue To Create High Quality Courses To Combat Negative Reviews
The key (especially now with this new review system) to getting higher reviews and ratings is to actually go back to the fundamentals and create high quality online videos courses! Also, allowing an abundance of new students to try your course is a great way to boost your reviews! Here are a few tips I will be trying with the new system in place:
1) Allowing lots of free students into my course to drive additional reviews
2) Having my first lectures be of the highest quality to set the tone in the course and give students as great reason to provide 5 star reviews
3) Responding to as many negative reviews as possible and trying to resolve the issues by making my courses better, not by trying to change the reviews opinion! Nothing beats an awesome course :)
I hope you have enjoyed this weeks case study! There are many ways to begin teaching online, but this should give you some great ideas that have worked for myself and many other online instructors! Stay tuned next week were I discuss more online teaching strategies.
Thank you for reading our blog post today! If you have any questions please feel free to post your comments below!
Also, you can check out all of my blog posts for FREE by going to:
Sincerely,
Joe Parys

No comments:

Post a Comment